Monday, April 1, 2013

How We Told the Ones We Love





                               



     As I said in the last post, Billy and I knew we were not going to tell our family and friends until we made it to 12 weeks.  After doing some math, I quickly discovered that Billy's 32nd birthday would put us at 11 weeks.  He and I discussed it and we decided that is when we would tell everyone.

    I spent days and weeks trying to decide where we would have Billy's party.  When you have a guest list of 60 people, it can be a struggle.  I soon remembered a place our friends had their wedding rehearsal dinner at that we loved.  One quick call to Arni's in Greenwood, and we had our location, but still no way to tell everyone the big news.


     A couple of fortunate events happened while I was trying to figure out how we wanted to tell everyone.  First, the DePauw women's basketball team was winning like crazy!  And second, Toms went on sale on Zulily.  I know this sounds nuts, but both of these event helped me decide that we would tell our friends by having Billy open a present at his birthday filled with baby items.  A DePauw shirt for me, an Indiana State shirt for Billy, and a pair of little baby Toms that were just TOO CUTE to pass up!

     So I ordered everything and they came in rather quickly.  As the days went by, though, I realized pulling baby items out of a gift bag is cute, but it needed something else that really said.. BABY GUY IS COMING!  So, I bought a onesie, wrote a cute little phrase on it, and strung up all the items on a clothesline, thus when Billy opened it, we could hold it up together.  It may have been his birthday, but I am the one doing all the work! :)

     Saturday was the day!  Billy and I had an appointment on Thursday to make sure everything looked good (which it did) so we both felt more confident about telling our friends and family a week earlier than we originally wanted.  Saturday was spent running around like lunatics.  We had to get the cake, decorations, presents for our parents, and everything else you could think of.  By the time we were ready to leave to go to Greenwood, we were exhausted, but excited.

     We got there and decorated, then our friends and family slowly started to trickle in.  Arni's was more than accomodating and our waiters were really funny.  Everyone ordered drinks and food and things were going off without a hitch.  At one point in the night, just before Billy cut the cake and opened his presents, Billy's cousin remarked, "You know.  Rumor has it this isn't just a birthday party."  And in true Jaymi fashion, my response, "Well those people are nuts!"  I apologized later for that comment, but I didn't want to ruin the surprise.

     Even though everyone wasn't done eating, I asked Billy to go ahead and cut the cake and open his presents.  I could tell some people were winding down and wanted to make sure everyone was there for the reveal.  So we did.  Everyone ate cake and Billy began to open his presents, finishing with mine.

     It was time.. the moment of the big reveal.  I purchased Billy a Wii game and put it on top so people would be a bit put off.  However, Billy opened the second part and it looked like this.


 



     The response... silence!  Not really the reaction you want.  In hindsight, I think it took everyone a minute to read the onesie.  Here's a close up for you.



     After that, there was some screaming, tears, and a lot of hugs and kisses.  Billy and I truly are blessed to have such amazing family and friends.  Baby Guy is going to be one luck baby.

     So, that's it for now.  I have told everyone I know that Billy is absolutely ecstatic and I am still in a bit of a shock.  So if you see us on the street, feel free to say something, but don't be surprised if Billy is the one glowing.  :)

     Next time's blog... interview with a new (soon-to-be) dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment