Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Moment of Truth...

     

   

     Or perhaps this would better be titled, "The night we found out we were pregnant!" 

    But first, let's start with a little background.  Anyone who knows Billy has known he has wanted a kid FOREVER!  Anyone who knows me knows that I loved working with "my kids" at the library but was a bit unsure about when I wanted to have my own.  To say we talked the "kids" topic to death is an UNDERSTATEMENT.  So, Jaymi being Jaymi, I said, let's just let it happen when it happens.  I can roll with the punches like that.  So, that's what we agreed on.

     To say we are shocked that it happened so quickly is also an UNDERSTATEMENT.  Billy and I put absolutely no thought into making a baby.  We went about our newlywed ways and didn't think twice.  However, about six weeks after we got married, or four weeks into our pregnancy, I started feeling different.  I knew I was pregnant!  I was nauseous, things didn't really taste right, and I was EXHAUSTED!  For a person who gets at least 8 hours of sleep during the week and 10 on the weekends, I was sleeping about 13 hours a day!  Like I said, all signs pointed to pregnant.  However, I wasn't yet prepared to take a test.  I told myself I would wait until two days after my missed cycle and test.

     February 10 came and went.  February 11 came and went.  Guess what?  Time to test.  I didn't tell Billy I was testing.  Why would I?  If it was negative, I would tell him my suspicion was wrong.  If it was positive, well, I had all of the grand ideas of ways to tell him.  So, I tested, and this is what I got.


     Told you I knew it.  As soon as I saw that positive, all of my great ideas for telling Billy flew out the window!  I ran downstairs and literally threw the test at Billy, yelling "catch!"  Luckily Billy caught the test, looked at it, and said, "What is this?"  Just like a man!  My response, "Well dear.  That's a positive pregnancy test!"  In true Billy fashion, he said, "Are you sure?  It awfully light!  I think you need to go take another one!"

     HAHA!  Yea right, I had just peed everything I could on that one little test.  It would have to take a minute.  I am not going to bore you, but three tests later, I still didn't have a believer in my husband.  He was ADAMANT we take a test that said "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant."  So we did.  



     That's all it took.  Finally, I had a believer.  We were pregnant and we couldn't tell a soul.  Billy and I agreed early in our kid discussion that if and when we got pregnant, we wouldn't tell anyone until we were out of the 12 week window.  That is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than any one ever lets on.  

     I lasted exactly two days!  On Valentine's Day, I asked Billy if we could tell my parents.  Valentine's Day is my parents anniversary and I thought what a great present telling them they were going to be grandparents would be.  It took a little persuasion, but Billy agreed.  So, at 9 o'clock at night, my parents got the news.  I think their reaction would best be described as disbelief.  My dad kept saying, "Really?  Really?  That's cool.  Really?"  I am really happy we told my parents because there is no way I would have been able to talk to only Billy for 7 weeks about our big secret.

     There you have it, our moment of truth.  Since that night, we have been to the doctor twice, seen our little baby Guy twice, and oh yea, went to Hawaii where Billy felt inspired to do this.


     Can you tell how excited he is?  On our next blog post... how we told our family and friends.  Stay tuned... its pretty cute, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment