Friday, August 9, 2013

30 weeks... SAY WHAT?!


     


     30 weeks!  How in the world did we get here?  I have no idea where the last 29 weeks have gone, but I sure am happy they have flown by. I just can’t believe we are in the weeks that start with 3.  This time next week, we will be in the single digits! Say what?!  It’s a little nerve-wracking to think that our little princess will be here in 10 or so weeks and to be perfectly honest, we are SO NOT READY!  Even though we aren’t ready, I do need to take a moment and brag on my husband.

     Throughout most of the “20” weeks, Billy has spent his weekends umpiring softball.  This just meant that nothing, and I do mean nothing, had gotten done for our little girl.  Well, in the past few weeks, Billy has primed and painted our nursery, surprised me with our nursery furniture, and attended “baby class” with me.  A little anecdote about our baby furniture that is just too cute not to share. 

     We decided to purchase our furniture before our baby shower because I wanted to be ready.  Admittedly, I have some control issues.  Thus, we went to Buy Buy Baby when I was 24 weeks pregnant and picked a furniture set only to be told, “It could take between 12-14 weeks to get here.”  My first thought?  I could have a BABY by then.  However, since it was literally the only set we agreed on, I decided to go for it.  Our baby girl doesn’t really need furniture to come home to, right?  Well, at 28 weeks, Billy decided that we needed to go ahead and get the paint even though I have been horribly INDECISIVE about bedding.  We decided to go with yellow walls and I actually talked Billy into letting me put sparkles in the paint.  That’s right, my daughter has yellow sparkly walls!  My husband worked like an absolute fiend to get the paint on the walls under the guise that he promised me he would work on the room and then made plans to go skeet shooting that weekend.  Little did I know, that when I came home from work on Friday, our daughter’s furniture would not only be in her room, but built and ready for her to use!  Billy knew it was coming on Wednesday, but decided to make it a surprise!  Tell me that’s not stinking sweet?


 




Not the best, but you can kind of see the sparkles.


     As for her bedding, well, I decided to just make my own.  As a girl who really doesn’t like pink or purple, it has been hard to find bedding that isn’t “too girly” and not pink/purple.  So, Billy and I chose some red damask fabric and black houndstooth fabric and I made a minky “quilt” that will serve as the blanket she won’t even use.  HA! I also decided to make my own ruffled crib sheet, though it hasn’t even been started yet.  We registered for some red and black crib sheets to go along with the bedding.  I also plan on purchasing some black ruffled curtains, a black and white houndstooth rug, and a red damask seat cushion for our rocker.  Still unsure as to what is going on the walls, but that can always be done once she gets here.  I am just happy to have furniture.

                         
 

     Everything has been going along so smoothly that I knew the other shoe was going to drop sooner or later and it did, in the form of the dreaded glucose test.  I will be the first to admit that while I eat my fair share of fruits and vegetables, I also have a serious love of carbohydrates and sweets!  Diabetes also runs on both sides of my family so truthfully, I should be much better at watching what I eat.  Thus, it wasn’t that big of a surprise to me when I failed the 1 hour glucose test and was told I had to take the 3 hour test.  Going to Bloomington at 7:30am on Saturday was not something I had bargained for though.  Ever given blood 4 times in 3.5 hours?  I did and it was NOT FUN!  I seriously looked like a crack addict after the 3.5 hours as my arms were so bruised up.  We had to wait a week for the results, and that week just so happened to be Fair Week!  I think I had 7 lemonade shake-ups, 4 cinnamon sugar doughnuts, and half an elephant ear as well as about 10 ears of roasted corn.  Not to mention the amount of subs I consumed.  If I was going to have to watch what I ate, I was going to go out with a BANG!   However, I am happy to announce… I PASSED!  Honestly, I still can’t believe I passed and I don’t think Billy can either as he kept asking the doctor how I could fail one so badly, I was 30 points above the high end of where they want you to be, but pass the next.  HA!  Such confidence my husband has in me!

 

     What else is new?  Well, Billy and I also recently attended a “baby class” at IU Health Bloomington where we will be delivering.  I HIGHLY recommend taking a birthing class if you have the opportunity as it was sooooo informative.  Truthfully, I have not been very nervous about the whole birth thing as I recognize that in most circumstances, what happens is going to happen and it is out of my control, so why worry?  The amount of important information we received, not only about “how birth works” but breathing techniques and partner support was highly helpful, though.  As a female, I think we learn a lot about our bodies and menstruation and birth before/during/after puberty, but we tend to forget how little men really know.  I haven’t actually asked Billy, but I think this class helped put his mind at ease a little bit. Even though I think Billy knows quite a bit about women and their “issues,” for a man.  I mean, he did grow up in a house with 4 women!


 

     In other news, Billy and I took our Moms for a 3D/4D ultrasound appointment.  We have been waiting on this appointment for months, and were so excited that it finally arrived and guess what?  Baby Guy was UNNCOOPERATIVE!  I should have known it would be this way as she wasn’t very cooperative during our 20 week anatomy screening either.  During the 30 minute session, our baby had her hand over her face practically the entire time though we did get to see her little nose, hands, and feet.  Oh yea, we also got another confirmation that she is, in fact, a she.  Thank goodness!  Chalk this up to our first real parenting lesson.  Even when you think you are in control, you aren’t.  The good news is we get to go again  and see if we can get better images.  Hopefully I will have some good images to post and we can settle the debate of who Baby Guy looks like.  One thing I can attest to after yesterday, Baby Guy has my nose!

This is from her 20 week ultrasound. 
Tell me that is not my nose?
 
     So what’s coming up?  Well August is extremely busy for Billy and me.  This weekend I am heading to Louisville for my sister’s bachelorette party which should be fun.  On August 14th our bowling league starts back up and I am fully committed to bowling as long as I can which ought to be interesting.  We have another doctor appointment on the 20th followed by appointments every 2 weeks from now until 36 weeks at which point we start going weekly.  YAY!  Not.  The 24th I am attending a breastfeeding class because I just want more information.  I know it is the best thing for our baby, but I just need more knowledge before I declare that it’s what I am doing.  If we decide to go that route, I undoubtedly plan on pumping as this Momma likes her sleep and Billy is going to have to pull some night sessions as well!   The 25th we have our Baby Shower which my cousin Tootie and friend Hallie are hosting for me.  The 29th we have maternity pictures and the 31st we have a cloth diapering class at a store in Indy call Toasty Baby.  PHEW!  The best part?  Except for a bridal shower and wedding, we have NOTHING in September, though I am sure that will change.

 

     That seems to be it for now.  Sorry this post has been RIDICULOUSLY long.  I wanted to get all of this down for myself before I forgot.  I will post some 30 week updates soon, but I am holding off because I REALLY want to post it with some 3D/4D images.  Pray for us that she cooperates or you will have one sad Momma.  And, on a completely unrelated note, here's a picture of my sweet puppy Winnie get love from her Dad.  I don't want her to feel left out in all of this baby commotion.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment